Published On: Wed, Jul 22nd, 2020

Queen holiday: When will Queen and Prince Philip travel to Balmoral?- date confirmed | Royal | News


Queen Elizabeth II, 94, and Prince Philip‘s, 99, annual holiday will go ahead despite the coronavirus crisis, Buckingham Palace has confirmed. The pandemic cast doubt over the royal couple’s usual summer break in Scotland but as lockdown measures are eased across Britain the treasured holiday will not be affected.

The Queen and the Duke of Edinburgh have been isolating at Windsor Castle since March but have both stepped out in recent days to attend face-to-face engagements.

On Wednesday morning, Philip returned from retirement for a rare royal engagement in the quadrangle at Windsor Castle.

There the Duke handed over his ceremonial military role as Colonel-in-Chief of The Rifles to Camilla, Duchess of Cornwall.

The Queen and Philip also both attended their grandaughter Princess Beatrice’s secret wedding in Windsor last Friday morning.

READ MORE: Prince Philip stands to attention at ceremony to hand Camilla title

A photo of the proud grandparents with the newlyweds outside All Saints Chapel, Windsor was shared following the ceremony.

Just hours after Beatrice’s under the radar wedding the Queen attended another key event at Windsor Castle.

There, the Queen bestowed a knighthood upon national treasure Captain Tom Moore who raised more than £30million for the NHS before his 100th birthday during lockdown.

The Queen told Sir Tom of her joy at being able to attend Beatrice’s wedding during the investiture ceremony.

When will the Queen and Philip go on holiday?

According to Buckingham Palace the couple will leave Windsor for Balmoral in early August.

Earlier this month a royal insider told the Sun: “Preparations are well underway.”

They added: “Everything will be checked and double-checked to ensure there is no risk.”

The source said the Queen and Philip will leave for Balmoral around August 1, when coronavirus shielding guidelines will be lifted.

While traditionally the Queen and the Duke of Edinburgh welcome guests throughout the summer months at Balmoral, this year will be markedly different.

COVID-19 still poses a huge threat to the royal couple who are both in their 90s and will need to be careful about how they return to socialising.

Although the Queen and Philip may have liked to welcome family members to visit them in Aberdeenshire as usual, it seem highly unlikely they will run that risk this year.

Before the pandemic it was understood Prince Harry and Meghan Markle had accepted an invitation from the Queen to join her with their son Archie Harrison in Scotland this summer.

However, Meghan and Harry have been based in Los Angeles since March and while they may have hoped to return to the UK for a stint this summer international travel may be off the cards for the Sussex family for now.

The Queen is said to be most at home at Balmoral which is one of the few places she can truly relax outside of the royal bubble.

The Queen and the Duke are expected to enjoy their time there with walks in the Highlands and picnics in the grounds.

Prince Philip has been mainly based at Wood Farm on the Sandringham Estate since his retirement and this may be the longest stint he and the Queen have spent together since he stepped away from public life in 2017.



Source link

Most Popular News